Audemars Piguet, A brief history
Audemars Piguet is located in the Swiss village of Le Brassus in the Valleéde Joux, an area in the heart of the Swiss Jura mountains famous for its watchmaking prowess. Historically, the region is known for experiencing harsh winter conditions and given the land is not suited to growing crops, the area became a centre of excellence for creating watch movements. Small independent watchmakers would seek shelter from ferociously cold temperatures, crafting movements in small hillside ateliers. As warmer weather arrived, these movements would be transported to Geneva where they would feature in fine pocket watches created by prestigious watchmakers.
In 1881, two sons of the Valleéde Joux, Jules Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet, joined forces to create the haute horlogerie brand which bears their respective surnames, Audemars Piguet & Cie.
The Valleéde Joux is particularly famous for complicated watches such as minute repeaters, tourbillons and grand complications. Moreover, ultra-thin movements are a speciality of the region. Other famous names are located within this area, including Blancpain and Jaeger-LeCoultre. However, Audemars Piguet remains arguably the most prestigious maison to be based within the region. Indeed, such is the elevated status of this haute horlogerie brand that it is regarded by some as one of the three “great dames”of haute horlogerie, alongside Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin.
Read More +